Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:07:47 +0100
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: if_nameindex/getifaddrs and dhcpcd issue

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@...inelinux.org> wrote:
> (snip)

I am not sure that it is appropriate that a netlink implementation,
which is the only way to do the enumeration correctly in the potential
absense of /proc, should go into Musl. I would be more inclined to
implement a new library to do netlink stuff that provides compatible
interfaces (you could use libnetlink too). The glibc implementation is
723 lines of code, and it is probably hard to make the implementation
a lot smaller, but you could make a full netlink library in not much
more as it is complicated but uniform (I wrote a partly complete one
in 1000 lines of Lua).

However I can see no reason why dhcp on a specified interface needs to
enumerate interfaces at all, and it only needs to read ipv4 addresses,
unless it is implementing dhcp6 too, maybe it does now. Again dhcp6
needs netlink, the Musl ipv6 parts for getifaddrs already use /proc
which is definitely unreliable for early boot config in a distro in my
view.

Justin