Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 13:42:30 -0400
From: Morten Welinder <mwelinder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: printf issues

> I _would_ like this code to be easily adaptable for use outside libc
> if somebody wants it

FYI, I have been doing just that for Gnumeric in a variant that always
rounds ties away from zero.  Two changes would help with making
the code fit seamlessly into other environments.

1. Make "i" in fmt_fp unsigned.  It's used in connection with
    unsigned values only.

2. Make "char *s" used to hold "NAN" etc. "const char *s".

Neither of these should make any difference in what the function
actually does.

I have run tens of millions random numbers through this function
looking for differences between it and glibc.  The extra 0s from "%g"
is the only problem observed.

It looks like the LDBL_EPSILON version could be used in

    roundl.c
    modfl.c
    ceill.c
    floorl.c

in the definition of TOINT instead of enumerating choices for
LDBL_MANT_DIG.  It's basically the same thing going on
there.

While I was looking for that, I noticed that this modfl fallback looks
problematic.  Even if long double and double are the same thing
under the hood, I don't think you can cast pointers like that and
assume it works.  It needs a temporary.

#if LDBL_MANT_DIG == 53 && LDBL_MAX_EXP == 1024
long double modfl(long double x, long double *iptr)
{
return modf(x, (double *)iptr);
}

Morten