Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:04:17 +0000
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: be able to break inheritance of LD_LIBRARY_PATH

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 04:27:05PM +0400, Alexander Monakov wrote:
> Instead of patching the dynamic loader, you can supply an LD_PRELOAD module
> that would remove/modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately at startup:

Thanks for the suggestion Alexander,

but I do not feel this would be "good enough". What you propose is to mix
together two otherwise distinct mechanisms. I like to keep things
orthogonal, to avoid keeping in mind unrelated constraints.

A separate flag variable is both easier and safer to use than
handling LD_PRELOAD depending on whether/how it is used for other
purposes at the same time.

This would neither cover a situation when the dynamic loader would look
for "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" again _after_ having run preload. This is afaik not
the case with musl now and probably will never be but yet the assumption
relies on looking at the internals - conceptually as bad/good as patching
in the first hand.

Regards,
Rune