Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:02:09 -0400
From: John Mudd <johnbmudd@...il.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
Cc: musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Build on linux 2.6 and run on linux 2.4?

Thanks for your reply.

I ran a test using an example thread app. I compiled the cond1.c example
from http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPosixThreads.html using
musl-gcc on Ubuntu 13.04, 2.6 kernel obviously. The executable runs on 2.6
as well as 2.4. I actually expected some kind of failure on 2.4. Did I pick
a poor example or am I not understanding still?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 04:58:49PM -0400, John Mudd wrote:
> > Probably a dumb question. Is part of the value of musl that I can build
> an
> > app using musl on linux 2.6 and then run the binary on linux 2.4?
>
> The version of Linux you build on has no bearing on the binary that
> comes out, so that's not a problem.
>
> However, Linux 2.4 is not officially supported since it lacks a lot of
> functionality needed to provide a modern POSIX conforming environment.
> The most notable is that it can't do threads. If you're ok with that,
> the other problems might be small enough that you don't mind. I
> remember some people in Freenode #musl trying out 2.4 recently and
> finding that a few of the busybox applets didn't work right, though,
> due to missing statfs64 syscall.
>
> This page has details on which kernel versions added which syscalls:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/syscalls.2.html
>
> so it may be helpful in evaluating if there's anything critical you'd
> be missing. If a syscall has two versions, one with "64" on the end,
> musl needs the one that ends in "64".
>
> This is definitely a topic we could attempt to document better if more
> people are interested in trying to use 2.4.
>
> Rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped