Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 02:36:11 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pre-compiled versions of ELLCC are now available via FTP.

* Richard Pennington <rich@...nware.com> [2014-02-15 17:02:15 -0600]:
> I have made pre-compiled versions of the ELLCC cross compilation
> tool chain available for various Linux targets.
> They can be found at ftp://ellcc.org/pub

nice

> Tarball contents:
>     C/C++ compiler (ecc, ecc++)
>     Assemblers for all targets
>     GNU binutils compiled to support all targets.
>     GDB compiled to support all the targets.

static gdb is very useful thanks

> because I don't have access to Linux boxes running on the other targets. I
> would welcome feedback on how they work for you.

mips is broken

i used the i386 tool chain to compile to mips target

$ ellcc-i386/bin/ecc -target mips-ellcc-linux hello.c
/tmp/ellcc-i386/bin/ecc-ld: /tmp/ellcc-i386/bin/../libecc/lib/mips/linux/crtbegin.o: warning: linking abicalls files with non-abicalls files
/tmp/ellcc-i386/bin/ecc-ld: /tmp/ellcc-i386/bin/../libecc/lib/mips/linux/libc.a(syscall.o): warning: linking abicalls files with non-abicalls files

the resulting binary works in qemu-mips but crashes on my router
(the same is true for the binaries in the ellcc-mips tool chain)

seems to be an o32 vs eabi issue based on the readelf -h output:

musl-cross:
  ABI Version:                       0
  Flags:                             0x1007, noreorder, pic, cpic, o32, mips1
ellcc:
  ABI Version:                       1
  Flags:                             0x5, noreorder, cpic, mips1

i think the mips asm in musl is written for o32 abi
i'm not sure why it works in qemu