Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:57:03 -0200
From: Gabriel Jacobo <gabomdq@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dlopen'ing glibc linked libraries

Hey everyone! First message here...

I recently found about musl when googling for GLIBC alternatives. I read in
the FAQ that binary compatibility with GLIBC is not there yet, so my
question is if this is a priority for the library.

As a bit of background to my question, let me say that I'm an SDL2
contributor, and I've tried linking SDL against musl, which seemed to work
great. I'm linking dynamically BTW (statically linking to musl didn't quite
work, I didn't research the issue much but it's probably a problem in SDL's
build system).

However, SDL uses dlopen/dlsym heavily to load most of its functionality
(for example, to load the libGL.so.1 binary in order to provide OpenGL
support), and these binaries depend on GLIBC...so (expectedly?) almost
nothing actually works with the SDL/musl binary.

So, will it ever work?

Thanks!

--
Gabriel.