Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:58:39 +0100
From: Christian Wiese <chris@...nsde.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: install.sh is wrong with libc.so

Hi,

> Dangerous in case after performing installation, dynamic linked
> system becomes unusable: no logins are accepted, no shell can be
> spawned, even self-boot with init= kernel command line will give you
> nothing but a kernel panic. (Of course I should have a static linked
> busybox, but I even did not expected such a change will occur since
> 0.9.12)

Yes, a static busybox would might have helped there, but doing a libc
update on a running system should be avoided anyways even if it kind of
worked out before in your case as it seems!

> >I think the info about how you are building would be quite helpful.
>
> I did installation as root user. I also do not run
> restrictive/hardened kernels. Sorry I lost log of installation, but
> after installing 0.9.15' libc.so "make install" refused to run with
> "Permission denied" error. Rest is simple: no command can be
> executed, login attempts refused, symptoms like "rm -fr /" was
> executed, only with "Permission denied". Only boot from rescue flash
> drive with prepared initrd showed that /lib/libc.so was
> half-installed with mode 600.

see above answer.

Cheers,
Chris

--
PGP Fingerprint: F96B A15F DF25 2B3E 49CB BA16 241B F3E7 52FE AFC6

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)