Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:51:03 +0000
From: Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: _PATH_LASTLOG

> What would be nice might be to be able to define the prefix for /etc to something else (so we can use atomic symlink changes to flip configs).

  Make /etc a symlink to /var/config/etc. Make /var/config a symlink to config-0.
Flip configs by atomically replacing the /var/config symlinks.
  You'll have to move /etc, or part of it, out of the root filesystem anyway, because
you'll want to make your / read-only: so, kill two birds with one stone.

> PS As an aside, I've always wanted /etc/hosts to also have a parallel /etc/hosts.d/.
>  It'd make maintaining things without a DNS server extremely easy - think dynamically
>  adding and removing VMs in most cloud providers, especially those where multicast DNS
>  doesn't work... like Azure.

  Honestly, using djbdns is almost as easy, thanks to the programmatically sane config
file formats; and it will scale better.

--
  Laurent