Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:30:26 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in resolv.conf

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 05:23:22PM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> >> I can imagine how it got there eg if you have a standard config or you
> >> compile a new kernel and omit ipv6...
> >
> > Indeed, this is conceivable. However, if the system is intended to be
> > used on an IPv6 network and you compile without IPv6 in the kernel,
> > lots of things will break and you probably just need to fix the
> > kernel. Still I'd like to avoid more breakage here than necessary.
> >
> > Can you (or anyone) fill me in on how things fail on a system built
> > without IPv6 support or with broken IPv6 configuration? I assume the
> > original socket() call will fail (with what errno?) if IPv6 support is
> > not even compiled into the kernel, but are there other cases where
> > socket() might succeed but then sending to a v4-mapped address would
> > fail (where sending to the same v4 address with a v4 socket would
> > work)?
>
> It is EAFNOSUPPORT if no kernel support at all.
>
> Actually I don't think there can be any cases where sending to the
> v4-mapped address (ie ::ffff:1.2.3.4) can fail where an ipv4 socket
> will succeed because those are basically ipv4 sockets with just ipv6
> notation, those addresses can't be routed by the ipv6 stack. So it

One thing I'm confused about is the addresses on the actual packets.
If we've already called bind for address :: and gotten assigned port
N, does this also reserve port N on 0.0.0.0, which will be needed when
sending from (and receiving back) IPv4 packets? Also, is there some
kernel option we might need to worry about that prevents :: from
receiving packets sent to IPv4 addresses, or does that only apply to
TCP, not UDP?