Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:18:32 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pending patches/issues before 0.9.15 release?

* Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org> [2013-11-21 23:04:52 +0000]:
> >according to the official tzdata code the "right/" directory
> >is obsolete and different path is used for this now
>
>  Oh ? I will definitely investigate this more.

check the commens in the makefile
(i dont know what distributions do, but it seems they now have
a zoneinfo-posix and zoneinfo-leap and you have to symlink one
or the other to the zoneinfo dir)

> >knowing that TAI is non-conforming you need to provide a strong
> >use-case for it
>
>  I believe that Linux kernels crashing all over the world because of
> a leap second happening makes a pretty strong case for not having the

leap second is non-conforming as well

> system clock jump around. There are several solutions for that, but
> none of them is simpler than just ignoring the drift at a system level
> and perform conversions in userland when needed.

you are welcome to try that but my guess is..

synchronizing clocks according to TAI accurately is
probably easier than posix time, especially since GPS
time uses the same reference (with some offset for
whatever reason) and that's widely available

but for "performing the conversion when needed" would
require an extra source of data about the rotation of the
earth (otherwise the date would drift away from reality)
and scale the TAI seconds to earth seconds on a given day
before display.. (so you still need to sync to the
rotation of the earth, but you made date calculations
significantly harder)