Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 18:08:40 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Christian Wiese <chris@...nsde.net>
Subject: Re: linux/netlink.h

On 10/07/2013 05:07 PM, Christian Wiese wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> imo a good alternative to downloading the full kernel sources to compile
>
>> the headers.
>> an additional advantage is that kernel headers are often broken,
>> the version used by sabotage is known good.
>
> I am curious about what you mean by "kernel headers are often broken".

kernel headers are usually only tested against the kernel - i.e. they
ship if the kernel compiles. however they often have problems that
affect userspace apps using them (like including linux/types.h which
clashes with libc headers, or similar things).

for example, you get a build error when you use kernel 3.8.6 headers to
compile DOSBOX:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/patches/258/

a notoriously broken header is ext2_fs.h, which caused problems with
extlinux in nearly every kernel release - so i decided to put it into
sabotage directly:

https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage/commits/master/KEEP/ext2_fs.h