Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:18:12 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GLOB_BRACE

On 09/23/2013 09:35:25 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 23/09/13 16:08, Rob Landley wrote:
> > systemd is the second coming of devfsd. A lot of us are waiting for
> it
> > to blow over.
>
> Given the economic and PR support it won't blow over easily if
> alternatives on par on the PR side won't appear.

Exact same argument applied to Windows.

> Keep in mind that pigs can fly just nicely if propelled adequately.
> The
> landing could be problematic though.

Mainframe -> minicomputer -> microcomputer -> smartphone. Arguing about
how Red Hat Enterprise does it today is like arguing over how the VAX
did it circa 1991.

Linux on the desktop didn't happen. Past tense. There are a billion
android devices in use today. The new iPhone is explicitly a desktop
replacement with a 64 bit processor, support for bluetooth mice and
keyboards, and airplay to put the display on any HDTV:

   http://www.cringely.com/2013/09/19/the-secret-of-ios-7/

Android's not far behind. All we have to do is prevent systemd from
being adopted by Android and Lennart's Hairball can get kicked up into
the server space with the previous generation of hardware like Cobol
before it, where we don't have to care unless we want to be our
generation's version of punched card job control wranglers for the
money.

Rob