Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:43:18 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jens <jensl@...s.mine.nu>
Subject: Re: problems with dynamic linking since 0.9.1

On 08/13/2013 12:14:42 PM, Jens wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>
>> * Jens <jensl@...s.mine.nu> [2013-08-13 13:18:27 +0200]:

>>> Sorry. Its actually linking the binary that doesnt work.
>>>

>> ah ok i did not see that
>>
>> i'd check libc.so if there is some obvious error
>> ld should be able to handle it
>> (eg file libc.so, readelf -a libc.so, nm -D libc.so, or just
>> ./libc.so)
>>
>> since you use landley's weird toolchain it may be a
>> problem with the old binutils
>
> Thanks! You nailed it in one. If I use newer binutils it works.

> gcc and not the wrapper).

It's not finding crtbegin.o when I do that, and the fact that
(according to strace), gcc thinks:

access("/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux/4.2.1/../../../../lib64/crtbegin.o",
R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Is a good place to look for it is one of the REASONS I wrote a wrapper
that goes "--nostdinc --nostdlib" and then starts again.

("I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Only way to be
sure.")

However, it sounds like you're using a stale version of the aboriginal
build environment because I upgraded to a binutils that can build musl
(and yes actually tested it at one point) several months ago...

Rob