Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:27:10 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: problems with dynamic linking since 0.9.1

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:06:29AM +0200, Jens wrote:

> >>Thanks! You nailed it in one. If I use newer binutils it works.

> >>gcc and not the wrapper).
> >>
> >>Thanks again,
> >>Jens

> >It would be nice to get to the bottom of this, still. It's not my
> >intent to require new binutils for linking against musl. Any idea why
> >it might have been failing? Are there verbosity level options to ld
> >that might help track this down?
>
> strace attached as trace.txt
>
> bash-4.1# strace -f -o /tmp/trace.txt musl-gcc t.o
> /opt/musl/lib/libc.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> verbose ld output attached as ld.txt
>
> bash-4.1# ld --verbose -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1
> -nostdlib /opt/musl/lib/crt1.o /opt/musl/lib/crti.o
> /usr/gcc/lib/crtbegin.o -L/opt/musl/lib -L /lib/. t.o
> /usr/gcc/lib/libgcc.a /usr/gcc/lib/libgcc_eh.a -lc
> /usr/gcc/lib/libgcc.a /usr/gcc/lib/libgcc_eh.a &> /tmp/ld.txt
>

> >By the way, how old were those binutils? I saw "firmware Linux"
> >mentioned, which was the predecessor of Aboriginal, so unless that's
> >just still landley's dir name, maybe these are a lot older than I
> >thought..
>
> bash-4.1# ld -V
> GNU ld version 2.17
>   Supported emulations:
>    elf_x86_64
>    elf_i386
>    i386linux
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks. I don't see anything obviously wrong in the trace or verbose
output. Unless /lib is where you have musl installed (which doesn't
seem to be the case, the -L /lib/. probably should not be there, but
it doesn't seem related to the problem. Have you run the file command
and/or readelf -a on libc.so as a sanity check? Perhaps something
about the toolchain or existing wrapper messed up the link of libc.so.