Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:15:30 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Build system adjustments for subarchs

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:09:50PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2013-08-14 00:02:26 -0400]:
> > >
> > > define archrule =
> > > $(dir $(patsubst %/,%,$(dir $(s))))$(notdir $(s:.s=.o)): $(s)
> > > endef
> > >
> > > $(foreach s,$(wildcard src/*/$(ARCH)*/*.s),$(eval $(call archrule,$(s))))
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I'm going to run some tests on arm, and it if works, I'll commit.
> >
> > I think it should be $(1) rather than $(s) in the archrule, but for
> > some reason, the $(eval ...) is not doing _anything_ on make 3.81 on
> > my Debian box. With my usual make 3.82, it works fine. This is not
> > really a show-stopper, since no errors occur; it just means
> > dependencies aren't getting honored on some versions of make that
> > might still be out there in the wild. But I would very much appreciate
> > some insight on why this is happening, from any GNU make experts...
>
> i had to fight this fight for the test repo
>
> define foo =
> a:b
> endef
>
> does not work for some reason, but
>
> define foo
> a:b
> endef
>
> does

Indeed, I figured this out too from reading GNU make's changelog. The
documentation should really document any feature that hasn't been
supported for at least 10 years with a note about which version/year
it was added in, so users can make informed decisions about which
features to depend on, and the examples in the documentation should
refrain from using the new, incompatible syntax for something that has
a more compatible variant. It's really unexpected to find examples
depending on extremely new features in the manual when the adjacent
pages are talking about gcc 1.3 as if it were current...