Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:38:17 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dn_expand() confuses postfix

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 02:19:20AM +0800, orc wrote:
> musl's dn_expand() confuses postfix - always returns 0, then postfix's
> libdns.a gets wrong shifts and gives up with something like:
>
> ../test_dns_lookup: lookup yandex.ru type MX flags 2
> ../test_dns_lookup: dns_query: yandex.ru (MX): OK
> ../test_dns_lookup: warning: dns_get_fixed: bad class: 30722
> ../test_dns_lookup: fatal: Name service error for name=yandex.ru type=MX: Malformed or unexpected name server reply
>
> If someone will face same error with postfix & musl, then get portable
> dn_expand.c from
> http://tclsysdns.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/unix/dn_expand.c and put it
> in src/dns (edit Makefile.in to include src & obj).

Cleaning up this code is part of the roadmap for 0.9.13, but I wasn't
aware that it was returning the wrong value. Thanks for bringing that
to my attention.

> (btw running whole LAMP/FTP stack with musl - some issues appear like
> iconv need to be replaced with libiconv to make some CMS happy, so I
> have some compatibility experience here.

Do you know what problems they hit with iconv? It's my intention that
iconv not need to be replaced. My guess is that the issue is failure
to automatically detect UTF-16 endianness via BOM, or missing charset
aliases for some charset strings.

> Musl much more perfect than I
> expected)

Great to hear. :-)