Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:22:15 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: iconv Korean and Traditional Chinese research
 so far

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:11:23PM +0800, Roy wrote:
> >However, based on the file at
> >
> >http://moztw.org/docs/big5/table/uao250-b2u.txt
> >
> >a number of the mappings UAO defines are into the private use area.
> >This would generally preclude support (as this is a font-specific
> >encoding, not a Unicode encoding) unless the affected characters have
> >since been added to Unicode and could be remapped to the correct
> >codepoints. Do you know the status on this?
>
> Those are Big5-2003 compatibility code range. Big5-2003 is in
> CNS11643 appendix section, but it is rarely used since no
> OS/Application supports it.
> So skipping the PUA mappings are fine.

OK, a few more questions...

1. What, if anything, is the accepted charset name for Big5-UAO, i.e.
how would it appear in MIME headers, etc.?

2. Can you give me an idea of the relationship between the Big5
variants/extensions/supersets? I'm aware of Windows CP950, HKSCS, and
now UAO. Is CP950 a common subset of them all, or is there a smaller
base subset "plain Big5" that's the only shared part? What is ETEN and
how does it fit in?

3. How should different MIME charset names be handled? In particular,
what does plain "Big5" refer to? Should it be interpreted as CP950?

4. Is there anywhere to get clean semi-authoritative sources for the
definitions of these charsets in plain text form. For HKSCS I found a
government PDF file but it's useless because you can't extract the
data in any meaningful way. Unicode has the CP950 file and "BIG5"
file, but the latter refers to Unicode 1.1 in the comments and I've
heard claims that it's completely wrong on many issues. Unihan.txt is
also fairly useless because it only defines the mappings for
ideographic characters, not the rest of the mappings in legacy CJK
encodings. Short of anything better I may just have to use glibc
output as a reference...

> >I'm also still unclear on whether this is a superset of HKSCS (it's
> >definitely not directly, but maybe it is if the PUA mappings are
> >corrected; I did not do any detaield checks but just noted the lack of
> >mappings to the non-BMP codepoints HKSCS uses).
>
> No it isn't. There is some code conflict between HKSCS(2001/2004) and UAO.

Some conflict or heavy conflict? From an implementation standpoint, I
want to know if this is something where they could use a common table
plus "if (type==BIG5UAO) { /* fixups here */ ... }" or if they need
completely separate tables.