Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 00:39:43 +0200
From: Harald Becker <ralda@....de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, dalias@...ifal.cx
Subject: Re: iconv Korean and Traditional Chinese research so far

Hi Rich !

> Worst-case, adding Korean and Traditional Chinese tables will
> roughly double the size of iconv.o to around 150k. This will
> noticably enlarge libc.so, but will make no difference to
> static-linked programs except those using iconv. I'm hoping we
> can make these additions less expensive, but I don't see a good
> way yet.

Oh nooo, do you really want to add this statically to the iconv
version?

Why cant we have all this character conversions on a state driven
machine which loads its information from a external configuration
file? This way we can have any kind of conversion someone likes,
by just adding the configuration file for the required Unicode to
X and X to Unicode conversions.

State driven fsm interpreters are really small and fast and may
read it's complete configuration from a file ... architecture
independent file, so we may have same character conversion files
for all architectures.

> At some point, especially if the cost is not reduced, I will
> probably add build-time options to exclude a configurable
> subset of the supported character encodings.

All this would go, if you do not load character conversions from
a static table. Why don't you consider loading a conversion
file for a given character set from predefined or configurable
directory. With the name of the character set as filename. If you
want to be the file in a directly read/modifiable form, you need
to add a minimalistic parser, else the file contents may be
considered binary data and you can just fread or mmap the file
and use the data to control character set conversion. Most
conversions only need minimal space, only some require bigger
conversion routines. ... and for those who dislike, you just
don't need to install the conversion files you do not want.

--
Harald