Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 07:40:12 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Embedded distro

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 07:56:35PM -0700, Kirk Terrell wrote:

> >>I did this because busybox complained about header locations - these
> >>are headers from the kernel, not from Musl.  This issue did not
> >>present when building a similar system using uClibc.
> >I wasn't aware of these issues. Which files are they in? Maybe we
> >should look into getting this fixed upstream...
> >
> The headers were to address the following issues that occurred while
> compiling busybox1.18.4. I'm using GCC-4.6.0 and Musl 0.9.11. I've
> passed the extra cflags -D_GNU_SOURCE -Dfdprintd=dprintf. My target
> is armel-unknown-linux-gnueabi. While compiling busybox I got the
> following errors:
>
> >CC      networking/ifconfig.o
> >networking/ifconfig.c:43:26: fatal error: net/if_slip.h: No such
> >file or directory
> >compilation terminated.
>
> After turning off ifconfig I get the following:
>
> >networking/libiproute/ll_types.c:11:26: fatal error:
> >linux/if_arp.h: No such file or directory
> >compilation terminated.
>
> Since these headers come from the kernel and not Musl I suspect its
> a busybox issue. Any insight would be appreciated.

Like John said in his reply to you, you're using an ancient version of
Busybox with lots of known bugs, some of which are especially
problematic if you'll be using the busybox utilities in place of
coreutils when running programs' configure scripts and building
software. I would recommend upgrading to latest busybox. As far as I
know, it has all the issues against musl fixed, as well as having
fixes for the bugs I just mentioned.