Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:01:23 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: embedded newbies site.

On 07/26/2013 09:50:25 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:01:48PM -0500, Strake wrote:

> autoconf

> > > Never having used glib, I'm not qualified to warn people away
> from it.
>
> glib is basically the C++ STL written in C, but lacking exceptions so
> that there's no way to handle errors.

If we have a "libraries you might want to look at" page, we probably
want to have a "libraries we'd like to warn you away from" page. And
that's a marvelous summary of glib on such a page.

> While debugging the heap-check crash that turned out to be memalign, I
> dug into the glib and libxml2 code a bit. Just casually inspecting
> less than 500 lines, I found cases of UB that don't break now but will
> break down the road with fancier compilers, lack of synchronization
> where needed, and various other small to medium bugs, not to mention
> 75%-redundant code in multiple code paths (lack of any proper
> factoring). Offhand I would guess the whole GNOME family of code has
> something like 4-10 bugs per 100 LoC....

Gnome is GNU:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project#GNOME

So of course the code's crap. GNU is a political project, not an
engineering project. The technology is never the focus of the effort,
and always subservient to other interests.

Rob