Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 04:02:31 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: About ready for 0.9.12 release

OK, so....

There are a couple remaining issues I'd hoped to address in 0.9.12
which I think I'm going to punt on. They are:

- ARM memcpy optimization
- Symlink direction for ld-musl/libc.so

There are a few reasons aside from the simple fact that I'd like to
release sooner rather than later. For memcpy, I'm more and more
getting the feeling that this is something we should commit shortly
AFTER a release rather than before. I know Andre would like to
experiment with getting a version written that rivals the proposed asm
but with all the higher-level logic in C, but this is going to require
some testing before we can make a release with it, and I'm still
worried it might prove impossible to get both comparable performance
and comparable size -- but I very much do want to see!

For the symlink issue, my feeling is that we have a larger open issue
than just the direction: whether there should be any reflection of
versions in any filenames, what concrete benefits different people
want to get out of a possible change, etc. Recently Timo Teräs
(fabled) has brought up the needs of distributions/package
management systems for tracking the version of libc needed, but these
discussions do not seem to have reached a conclusion yet, and I think
it's still unclear what, if any, changes might be beneficial here. The
original versioning and symlink direction issue was raised by Isaac
Dunham. What I don't want to do is go making changes now only to find
it would really have been better to do a different change or not
change anything at all, so after the release I'd like to resume the
discussion with a focus on identifying what the real needs to be met
are.

Other than those, are there any other things (in the way of _small_
details) anyone wants me to consider for 0.9.12?