Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:38:36 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thinking about release

On 07/09/2013 12:37:12 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:06:21PM +1200, Andre Renaud wrote:
> > The git tree is available here:
> >
> https://github.com/AndreRenaud/musl/commit/713023e7320cf45b116d1c29b6155ece28904e69
>
> It's an open question whether it's better to sync something like this
> with an 'upstream' or adapt it to musl coding conventions. Generally
> musl uses explicit instructions rather than pseudo-instructions/macros
> for prologue and epilogue, and does not use named labels.

Do your own local version. You can always copy ideas from other
projects if "upstream" changes later.

> > Does anyone have any comments on the suitability of this code, or
> what
>
> If nothing else, it fails to be armv4 compatible.

Query: did you ever implement a non-thumb version of armv4 eabi
support? I remember some discussion about it being possible, I don't
remember the outcome.

> Fixing that should
> not be hard, but it would require a bit of an audit. The return
> sequences are the obvious issue, but there may be other instructions
> in use that are not available on armv4 or maybe not even on armv5...?

I've beaten armv4-only, armv4t-only, and armv5-only modes out of qemu.
That's the reason for the first half of my versatile patch:

http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/file/1612/sources/patches/linux-arm.patch

> > kind of more rigorous testing could be applied?
>
> See above.
>
> What also might be worth testing is whether GCC can compete if you
> just give it a naive loop (not the fancy pseudo-vectorized stuff
> currently in musl) and good CFLAGS. I know on x86 I was able to beat
> the fanciest asm strlen I could come up with simply by writing the
> naive loop in C and unrolling it a lot.

Duff's device!

Rob