Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 11:31:53 -0400
From: Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork@...htcubesolutions.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New articles on ewontfix

On Jul 4, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

>> I really enjoyed these, thanks!
>
> Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I think it's really nice how the
> widespread adoption of version control systems and web interfaces for
> them has made it possible to cite source so easily, in such a way that
> readers can go directly to the code I'm talking about and see for
> themselves what it's doing.

Yep, it's at the point now where you can pretty much take it for granted. Only after you commented did I recall what it was like a few years back when typically the best you had was grabbing a cvs snapshot for yourself and examining the code locally.

Rich, you have the rare ability of being able communicate technical details in a way that is easy to understand and not horribly dry to read. If you ever have time and motivation, I would love to read an article from you about what makes good software.  For example, pitfalls to avoid in C (esp. ones that even experienced devs fall into). Or good design decisions on the Unix/Linux platform vs poor design decisions - writing good code that is both efficient and scalable.

I know you're busy and many of these things one can find piecemeal on the internets. (E.g., Rob Landley has some good thoughts on his toybox list about cleaning up code contributions to toybox.) Still, having one good article that is a joy to read makes a huge difference.

JH