Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:20:45 -0700
From: Isaac <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Proposed roadmap to 1.0

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 07:50:41PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is a VERY tentative, proposed roadmap towards a 1.0 release of
> musl. Comments welcome!
>
> 0.9.11
> Projected release: ASAP
> No further goals at the moment except fixing additional bugs found.

+1

> 0.9.12
> Projected release: Mid to late July
> Key targets:
> - Overhaul of time handling, including zoneinfo support.
> - Overhaul resolver to better provide legacy APIs without code dup.
> - Hybrid automatic/manual audit for cruft and code smells.
> - Resolve symlink direction issue for dynamic linker.
> - Affinity/cpuset interfaces.

> 0.9.13
> Projected release: Early August
> Key targets:
> - Full C++ ABI compatibility with glibc/LSB.
> - Support for all remaining iconv charsets of interest (KR/TW/HK).
> - Possible overhaul of iconv for performance and clarity/simplicity.
> - Possibly add stateful iconv support.
> - Establish formal procedure for regression testing.

> 0.9.14
> Projected release: End of summer
> Key targets:
> - Complete documentation draft.
> - Performance testing on under-tested archs, fixing bottlenecks hit.
> - Review for gratuitous application breakage (anything that could be
>   fixed with trivial changes that don't hurt musl's quality).

> 1.0.0
> Projected release: Early fall
> Key targets:
> - Polished documentation.
> - Organized and coordinated publicity plan.
> - At least one new exciting addition to make the release noteworthy,
>   but which has no chance of breaking things that work. Best candidate
>   would be one or more new ports, labeled experimental.

How about s390 and ia64? ;-)

All joking aside, I'd say +1.
And for ports, arm64, mips64 or mips n32, x32, and/or sh seem like
interesting targets.
While sparc is not "dead", basically leon is the only sparc cpu that is
alive and likely to provide an interested audience.
And that's sparc32.
m68k/coldfire are 32-bit only, slow, and largely obsolete with little
prospect of new development (Freescale is working on ppc and arm systems),
but there is some use of them in the embedded market, so I could imagine a
port being useful to someone.
Do we currently support 64-bit ppc?

ia64 appears to be limited in use/dying, besides not being the ideal target.
(big iron, and you'd pretty much need to interest Oracle and similar companies
before you get much use).
hppa and alpha are most interesting for a computer historian.
m32r is live, but I'm not aware of much interest.
tilera and epiphany (the Parallela coprocessor) sound interesting,
but are likely to be limited in availability.

Isaac Dunham