Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:34:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Iconv and old codepages

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 02:15:39AM +0800, orc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How many codepages does in-musl iconv supports?
> Currently I'm trying converting from "utf8" to "cp1251" and iconv()
> only gives me a number of "*"'s matching the utf8 input. Is this
> correct behavior and iconv() currently does not support non-UTF legacy
> codepages? Even so, I still see many of them in src/locale/codepages.h
> The (dirty) test program attached.
>
> I also noticed alternative libs thread and corresponding wiki page.
> Does someone know lightweight iconv replacement as a temporary measure
> (other than libiconv for example)?

Should be fixed in git. In general, the state of musl's iconv is that
the following charsets are supported:

utf8
wchart
ucs2
ucs2be
ucs2le
utf16
utf16be
utf16le
ucs4
ucs4be
utf32
utf32be
ucs4le
utf32le
ascii
usascii
iso646
iso646us
eucjp
shiftjis
sjis
gb18030
gbk
gb2312
iso88591
latin1
iso88592
iso88593
iso88594
iso88595
iso88596
iso88597
iso88598
iso88599
iso885910
iso885911
tis620
iso885913
iso885914
iso885915
latin9
iso885916
cp1250
windows1250
cp1251
windows1251
cp1252
windows1252
cp1253
windows1253
cp1254
windows1254
cp1255
windows1255
cp1256
windows1256
cp1257
windows1257
cp1258
windows1258
koi8r
koi8u

Non-alphanumeric characters are ignored in matching charset names, so
all combinations of hyphens and underscores are also supported with
these.

One caveat which should not affect your usage is that the following
charsets are only supported as the "from" charset, not the "to"
charset:

eucjp
shiftjis
sjis
gb18030
gbk
gb2312

Until the latest commit, the legacy 8bit codepages were also broken as
the "to" charset, but this breakage was unintentional.