Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 23:14:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: error compiling shadow 4.1.5.1

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 07:58:44PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:17:20 -0300
> "Matias A. Fonzo" <selk@...gora.org> wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile shadow 4.1.5.1.  I receive this error:
>
> > http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=9kzU9hfg
>
> > It seems like some entries are missing in utmp.h:
> > ut_host, ut_addr/ut_addr_v6, ...
>
> 1: musl does not support utmp. A public list of who's logged in is not
> desired.

Well the utmp functions are stubs that don't read or write any data,
but the interfaces are there to facilitate compiling programs that
expect them to exist. If there are build errors due to stuff being
missing, we should add it.

> 2: Just looking at that error, I get the impression that someone either
> isn't defining a feature-test macro that they should or is omitting a
> header. AF_INET is defined in sys/socket.h

Indeed. glibc exposes socket stuff indirectly through some other
headers, if I'm not mistaken. musl on the other hand avoids pulling in
additional headers implicitly. If this is indeed the problem, I think
just adding #include <sys/socket.h> to the file would fix it.

> 3: I see no indications that the errors are due to ut_* being absent.

Agreed.

> I'll see if I can find the problem.

Thanks for helping with support!