Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:23:19 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Broken silent glibc-specific assumptions uncovered by musl

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 02:17:05AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2013-05-19 18:08:32 -0400]:
> > On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 12:51:47AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > > CHARSET (toutf8)
> >
> > What is toutf8? (Just curious)
> >

> it is in libidn
> "toutf8.c --- Convert strings from system locale into UTF-8."

Oh. Speaking of which, we need to add IDN support at some point...

> > > here (i386) constructors are put into .ctors.* sections
> > > which get sorted by the linker
> >
> > How does this work for dynamic linking? Is priority only respected
> > within a single DSO, and not between multiple DSOs?
>
> i think ordering is only guaranteed within a single dso
> and this is not clearly documented

Yes, I think that's the only approach that makes sense anyway. And it
makes the whole ctor-priority system even more ugly because it causes
program semantics to change depending on how the program is broken up
into shared libraries, counteracting all the hard work ELF did to make
dynamic linking transparent with respect to program semantics...