Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:37:05 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xorg intel driver load error

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 09:22:10AM +0900, plan9assembler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am using my own x86_64-linux-musl from bootstrap+musl cross,
> https://plan9assembler.wordpress.com/
> https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux/issues/8
> https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux/issues/9
>
> trying to install xorg, compilation done,(mesa, font, lib, proto, xserver
> etc).
> but when xserver didn't work, due to intel driver.

> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: Error
> relocating /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: fbPolyPoint: symbol
> not found
> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
> (II) Unloading intel
> (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (loader failed, 7)
> (EE) No drivers available.

I believe the issue is that xorg lacks proper dependency information
between modules, so unless they're loaded in the correct order,
symbols will be missing. This bug gets overlooked with glibc because
many (but not all) symbol references can be deferred until the first
time they're used (lazy binding); musl intentionally does not support
lazy binding.

I'm not sure if anybody has worked on a patch to fix the issue, but
you should be able to work around it by tweaking your config file to
load modules in dependency order. In your case, it sounds like the
missing symbol is in some general fb module..

Others who've worked more directly with packaging and system building
can probably provide more detailed information for you.