Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:04:30 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Best place to discuss other lightweight libraries?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:46:40 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> > "There's always room for dropbear". And polarssl, and so on.
>
> cyassl looked promising too. I would probably mention tomcrypt too
> even though it's not sufficient to do SSL; it has the most slim,
> clean, portable implementations of crypto algorithms I've seen.

wpa_supplicant can use tomcrypt (external or internal) as fallback if no other encryption method (ie, openssl/gnutls) is configured, so I'd say it merits a mention.

I wonder if some notes should be put somewhere to point out that a network mangler on top of wpa_supplicant is not needed (the learning curve for configuring it is pretty steep, due to the need to find and understand the docs, but wpa_supplicant + wpa_cli -a script + wpa_cli in command mode can handle most situations, including dhcp).
I mention this because it seems to be "accepted wisdom" (but false) that you need wpa_supplicant as a tool and a network manager to make it useable.  And most of the network managers I've encountered are bloat of the highest order:
NetworkManager, wicd, wifiradar...
But this might be better put somewhere else.
--
Isaac Dunham