Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:40:48 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Best place to discuss other lightweight libraries?

On 04/23/2013 02:50 PM, LM wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 06:47:02PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/rofl0r/gettext-tiny
>> I think the goal is to have gettext functionality, not just stubs.
>> Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
>>
>> With that said, an old version of GNU gettext should work fine. I
>> wasn't even aware that the current version depends on glib; it
>> certainly didn't in the past.
>
> Correct, I was looking for a functional drop-in replacement that was better
> designed or at least needed less dependencies.
[...]
> I did find an old version of bsd
> gettext (
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Pine.LNX.4.30.0105222006170.757-100000@peter.localdomain)
> that appears to be able to replace libintl and gettext.  It doesn't
> supply replacements for msgfmt, msgmerge, xgettext.  Was checking if
> gettext-tiny might replace them, but doesn't seem to supply the

gettext-tiny is currently working as a stub that bounces back the
original english message.
however msgfmt and msgmerge use a full blown .po parser that can easily
be adapted to do the translation thing.
you are welcome to do the work (as long as you dont use C++)!

> functionality used by the Open Source program I was trying to compile.
> Doesn't even get past the configure tests.

which program was that ?
the main idea behind gettext-tiny is that it should make all configure
scripts happy. so this is a bug, please report details here or open an
issue on the github repo.