Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:56:43 -0400
From: LM <lmemsm@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Will musl work as a lsb alternative? (was Re: re:
 musl setup attempt)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com> wrote:
> FYI, there is a project called tinyxlib based on a mix of work from xwoaf, Amigo Linux, one or two Puppy developers, and some other sources; I have a git repo for working on it at
> github.com/idunham/tinyxlib

I did run across the source for that recently.  I've also been looking
at the source for XMing and the Syllable forum has a thread on how far
they got trying to build Kdrive XSDL (
http://forum.syllable.org/viewtopic.php?t=1991 ).  I also saw some
posts on the Puppy forum about trying to compile X with musl that were
interesting.  Another thing I've been experimenting with is nano-x.
That works fine with FLTK 1.3.  Would have to see how well it builds
with musl.

I do have a series of scripts I put together for building an X Server
that I'm hoping to test out with musl and see how far I get and where
I need patching.  If that doesn't work, I'll back up and try some of
the other options like tinyxlib and possibly nano-x.  Thanks for
mentioning the tinyxlib project.

> Of course, you will need a C++ compiler to do anything with FLTK.

I'm going to need a C++ compiler for several things I want to build,
so that's definitely a must on my list.

> X is called a "server" for a reason: assuming you don't have incompatible extensions, you can use any x server and any application you want as long as they can connect.  For example, you can:
> -run musl and libc5 X apps with glibc X servers
> -have IRIX, BSD, or Solaris apps running remotely and displaying locally on a glibc-based Linux system

I thought that was the case, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't
missing any hidden gotcha's.  Thanks for the confirmation on that.
When I was reading about glibc, I was surprised to read that even if
you tell it to compile statically, it still pulled in dynamic
libraries.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something like
that with the X libraries.  Am not very familiar with the X Consortium
code and am just starting to read through some of it and get an
overview of how it works.

Thanks (to Isaac and everyone else who has commented) for the all the
ideas and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Laura