Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:11:17 -0400
From: LM <lmemsm@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Will musl work as a lsb alternative? (was Re: re:
 musl setup attempt)

On 3/27/13, Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net> wrote:
> The size penalty using something like uClibc or musl is fairly small,
> and
> the need to dlopen() things to make network resolution work are glibc
> bugs
> that don't apply to other C libraries.

That is one thing I really like about the glibc alternatives.

> I have prebuilt uClibc toolchains at http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin
> (the
> cross-compiler-$ARCH.tar.bz2 files) if you want to try that. Add the
> "bin"
> subdirectory of that tarball to your $PATH and use CROSS_COMPILE=$ARCH-
> as
> your prefix (and yes you need the trailing dash on the prefix name or
> it'll
> try to use i686cc instead of i686-cc).

Think I'll give things a try with musl first.  (I really like the
friendly licensing with musl.)  Even though I intend to supply all
source code for the project I'm working on, my personal preference is
toward MIT and BSD licensing over LGPL and GPL when it's available.  I
have done some building of source with uClibc in the past and I
appreciate your mentioning it in this context.  That does give a third
alternative (besides musl and lsbcc/lsbc++).  Thank you very much for
the link to the toolchain.

> Really: significant effort to avoid static linking -- not worth it.

Sta.li has a great article on this ( http://sta.li/faq ) that I really
like.  It was definitely one of the options I was considering for my
project.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Laura