Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:20:27 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
Cc: toybox@...ts.landley.net, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Toybox] toybox: Rough edges in pending

On 03/19/2013 01:50:43 AM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't expect these to be very high priority, but I ran into a few
> rough edges
> when enabling almost all the toys in pending:

Um, yes. Until recently half the stuff in pending didn't even
_compile_. There's a _reason_ the default to 'n'. It's a directory full
of things that people are unhappy if I keep out of tree (usually for
months), but which aren't ready to be used either.

On balance, if I can't find a warning sign large enough, I'm just going
to delete the whole directory and start keeping it out of tree again.

> -sh:
> toys/pending/sh.c: In function 'run_pipeline':
> toys/pending/sh.c:303: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer
> type
> Apparently, gcc doesn't recognize both rebound and toys.rebound

Oh wow, toysh. No, it was never more than a stub and the rest of the
code has changed drastically around it in the ~4 years since the last
time it was touched. It needed fixups just to compile again, and I only
did that because after my talk at CELF people kept telling me that
"allyesconfig" didn't build. (And I went "I know, it's not supposed
to", and this confused them...)

I should have called the directory "slushpile".

> Also, when toybox is built with musl, and toybox sh executes ls,
> I get a hang; strace indicates that something funny is going on:

I am honestly amazed it got _that_ far.

> I anticipate this is a bug in musl, so I'll cross-post.

If toysh _isn't_ corrupting the heap or something similar, I'd be
stunned. It's not a real command yet.

Rob