Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:54:39 -0400
From: LM <lmemsm@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl setup attempt

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM, John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de> wrote:
> mostly finding portability bugs in programs, like missing include
> directives, and then reporting the issue upstream
> (and keep nagging them until they finally fix it).

I have really mixed results with reporting portability bugs.  More
often than not, projects refuse to accept the bugs unless they're for
platforms they officially support.  I typically work with
cross-platform software, but many of the cross-platform projects still
only officially support a limited number of systems.  Some of them
have even been down-right nasty when I submit a patch to fix an issue
for my platform.  (Of course, I've run across some projects where the
developers have been very nice too and fix things extremely quickly.)
Am very curious if anyone else has had problems with this sort of
thing and how you handle the situation.

I'm currently looking into whether I can find enough Open Source
implementations for the types of applications I need that avoid any
projects where the developers are unfriendly.  I further limited
things down to applications that will run reasonably well on older
systems.  That cuts out a lot of Open Source applications (and
libraries).  Will see if I can still put together a coherent and
useful system under those conditions.