Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:57:17 -0400
From: Zvi Gilboa <zg7s@...rvices.virginia.edu>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: question: hard-coded file descriptors in stdin/stdout/stderr

More information on the project will become available soon, along with
two portable (compiler-dependent), header-only libraries that are almost
complete, and which provide information about the host system (library
names are NTAPI, which covers Native API types, structs, and function
typedefs, and PESPECS, which covers the specifications and format (types
and structs) of the PE format).

The idea to make NTAPI and PESPECS available as separate header-only
libraries is to relieve developers who write applications targeting the
Native API and/or the PE format from the current pain of
header-mishmash.  If nobody objects, I'll announce them on the musl list
as well.

As for the alternatives: what makes musl the most attractive (in my
opinion, of course), is not only the high quality of its code and
performance, but also its *readability*.  I believe that the experience
of reading the source of a C runtime library should resemble that of
reading a well-written, inspiring textbook, and musl-libc is the only
libc project I found that provided me with that kind of reading experience.

[Note, however, that provided an appropriate musl-gcc script, MinGW
could still serve as the host build environment, so fortunately no need
to create anything from scratch on that front...]

By all means(!!), it would be great to obtain help with the
implementation of the various Posix SysCalls/APIs, so the project's
web-page is actually going to include a "sign-up" sheet:)

Till soon,
Zvi

On 03/14/2013 02:40 PM, LM wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Zvi Gilboa <zg7s@...rvices.virginia.edu> wrote:
>> ... since you are asking...  inspired by musl-libc, I am currently writing a
>> win32/win64 open-source library that implements/provides POSIX system calls
>> (see note below).  I believe that having a powerful libc with an MIT license
>> available on Windows would actually be of great value to the open source
>> community for all possible reasons, but that is of course irrelevant to my
>> question:)
> That is a great idea.  Would very much like to hear how this
> progresses.  Do you have any more information on the project
> available?
>
> Don't know if it helps, but Watcom has an Open Source C library.
> Don't remember the exact license.  Also, I've seen a couple of
> projects on Sourceforge that tried to create an alternate C library
> for MinGW with more POSIX support.  Again, not sure of the licenses.
> You might be able to get some coding ideas from some of these projects
> if the licenses are suitable.  An MIT licensed option on Windows would
> be very nice.
>
> I have code for some POSIX functions like fnmatch that I've been using
> for various Open Source programs that need it in order to port to
> Windows.  I do try to find MIT, BSD or other less stringent licenses
> than GPL/LGPL when I can.  If that would be helpful, let me know.

Content of type "text/html" skipped