Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:49:45 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Roger Sibert <roger_sibert@...atex.com>
Subject: Re: is musl run against cppcheck ?

On 02/28/2013 03:54 PM, Roger Sibert wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was just looking at musl to help with static compiled binaries for
> systems that use CF cards for the base OS, I always run code against
> cppcheck prior to use so that up front I know what may have to explain
> to someone.
>
> In running against an older version of cppcheck, my main system is
> being rebuilt and the backup hasnt been upgraded yet, I ran across the
> following
>
> [src/network/getaddrinfo.c:115]: (error) Null pointer dereference
> [src/network/if_nameindex.c:52]: (error) Memory leak: p
> [src/thread/sem_open.c:45]: (error) Possible null pointer dereference:
> semtab - otherwise it is redundant to check if seis null at line 45

if musl deref's a null pointer, it is mostly to conciously cause a crash.
however, i think it should call a_crash() instead.

> My coding experience is spotty and I know cppcheck can throw false
> positives so instead of guessing I wanted to see if the musl code had
> been run through cppcheck.

yes. it was run a couple of time in the past.
for example this commit here fixed a commit that removed "unused code"
wrongly detected by cppcheck.
http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=ae4b0b96d63fe3cbd70008350f998570c9e91f7f