Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:35:42 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: shadow.h

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:54:58PM +0100, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> Hi,
> It seems that the musl doesn't contain several important shadow's
> functions that are declared in the shadow.h.
>
> # ldd /lib/security/pam_unix.so
> 	libpam.so => /lib/libpam.so (0x7fcac91b8000)
> Error relocating /lib/security/pam_unix.so: putspent: symbol not found
> Error relocating /lib/security/pam_unix.so: fgetspent: symbol not found
> Error relocating /lib/security/pam_unix.so: putpwent: symbol not found

These have been discussed before and I believe the intent is to add
them (they're simple fprintf wrappers, if I remember correctly), but
be aware that pam_unix.so's support for writing to the password
database assumes a certain form and will break things badly if the
user is using tcb shadow. It might also mess up the shadow file if it
depends on being able to iterate all entries in the shadow file; I'm
not sure if that works or not.

These are issues that need more discussion...