Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:59:46 +0100
From: pierre <pierre@...entlife.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dladdr()

Rich,

> in the event the stack has been smashed,
> following the stack frames is likely
> (almost certain) to lead you to [bad]
> destinations [...] that might not even
> be valid

That's precisely what I wrote in that email
that nobody seems to have read.

And I added, just in case it could help, that
dladdr should not crash when trying to lookup
invalid addresses.

> there won't be frame pointers to help you
> follow the stack frames out of libc functions

For mere mortals, knowing that it's in libc
is enough, as they then will check what junk
was given to libc (and then will write a
workaround if they feel that libc is buggy).

For those with a stronger motivation, helping
to strengthen a decent libc makes a lot more
sense.

I have no other motivation when I invest some
of my time here.

Pierre.