Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 16:18:12 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NULL

On 01/09/2013 03:47 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 03:42:07PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 09/01/13 12:02, John Spencer wrote:
>>> 2) change musl so it is compatible with those apps. this would mean:
>>> #if defined(__GNUC__)&&  defined(__cplusplus__)
>>> #define NULL __null
>>> #elif defined (__cplusplus__)
>>> #define NULL 0
>>> #else
>>> #define NULL (void *) 0 /* for C code */
>>> #end
>>> this change is the easiest solution: any problem will be magically fixed.
>> I'm not sure if there is a way to warn properly at compile time for that
>> specific usage.
> __attribute__ ((sentinel)) may be used. Adding this to the appropriate
> gtk headers (even just as a temporary debugging measure if it's not
> desirable permanently) would catch all the bugs calling gtk variadic
> functions.

indeed this does emit a warning. however, it will only detect sentinels,
not other variadic arguments that are expected to be pointers but will
be passed as int instead. i haven't tested, but it will most likely also
cause crashes.

>> IMHO going with 2+3 is the only safe way to grant musl more support
> 2 is not appropriate as written (it's more complexity, and ugly, and
> in multiple locations). 3 already exists; it's called GCC.
>
> If we decide something is needed at the musl level, in my opinion the
> only acceptable solution is just replacing 0 with 0L unconditionally.
> Actually I'd like to remove the special-case for C++ and make NULL
> _always_ be defined to 0 or 0L, but I worry too many people would
> complain...

yes, 0L is definitely nicer.
regarding C code, it would infact be more consequent if you make it 0/0L
there as well.
what issues could arise in C code when (void* ) 0 is replaced with 0L ?