Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:05:22 -0800
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Status of musl and RPC libraries

I've given up on getting libtirpc to work; it requires NIS and quite a bit of RPC support in the libc(!). In fact, when glibc 2.14 dropped the RPC headers, it broke libtirpc compilation (thus all newer glibc versions have them).

Besides that, I've found a few potential solutions for RPC support:
-An updated port of DCE/RPC maintained originally by Novell, now by Apple. Needs autoconf (no configure script provided).
-gssrpc, which is a wrapper around Kerberos, but I don't know if it is a dropin RPC solution...
-Porting OpenBSD RPC (if anyone's doing a BSD-based RPC, that's the best option: FreeBSD hasn't updated their RPC implementation recently, so it cannot be used as a standalone library per the license!)
-Porting Android librpc.

Approach number 4 was the quickest, so if you're curious, see
https://github.com/idunham/libdrpc

While I was porting this, I ran across one minor issue:
Linux poll(2) supports POLLRDHUP (0x2000), which _GNU_SOURCE makes available in <poll.h> on glibc. This will detect when the streeam socket peer has closed the connection.  I'm not aware of a POSIX equivalent to this.
Any chance of this getting added to poll.h (with proper feature tests)?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>