Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:29:49 -0800
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [ANN] sabotage 0.9.7 milestone (x86[_64]) release

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:31:04 -0500
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> > > And glibc.

And libstdc++.

> > This can help:
> >
> > http://nixos.org/patchelf.html
>
> Thanks for the link. I'd like to take a look at this program, and
> possibly suggest some other features that could be added to it.
> However, I don't think it helps with the issue at hand. As long as
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is a symlink to musl libc.so, no attempt to load
> glibc will be made. The problem is that, while musl largely strives
> for binary compatibility, there are a few places where it's difficult
> or impossible without additional patch-ups that aren't yet done.
>
> I'm not clear on whether any of the issues affect Opera, but for such
> a large program I'd be fairly surprised if they don't (albeit happily
> surprised, of course).
Here's what I got (using a somewhat out-of-date libc.so; I know at least one function has since been added, but this gives a general idea of the scope):
$ /opt/musl/lib/libc.so lib/opera/opera
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __nl_langinfo_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __strftime_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: strtold_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __wctype_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __wcsftime_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __towupper_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __strxfrm_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __strtod_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __wcsxfrm_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __uselocale: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __freelocale: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __strcoll_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __towlower_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __iswctype_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __strtof_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __duplocale: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __newlocale: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: __wcscoll_l: symbol not found
Error relocating /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: dl_iterate_phdr: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: __pthread_register_cancel: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: memmem: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: __res_ninit: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: __pthread_unregister_cancel: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: qsort_r: symbol not found
Error relocating lib/opera/opera: __sigsetjmp: symbol not found

--
Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>