Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:31:04 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [ANN] sabotage 0.9.7 milestone (x86[_64]) release

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 02:32:04PM +0100, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> 2012/11/7 Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
>

> > > Is there a reason Opera would not work with this release?  Its only
> > > external dependencies are X11 and freetype/fontconfig.
> >
> > And glibc.
> >

> This can help:
>
> http://nixos.org/patchelf.html

Thanks for the link. I'd like to take a look at this program, and
possibly suggest some other features that could be added to it.
However, I don't think it helps with the issue at hand. As long as
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 is a symlink to musl libc.so, no attempt to load
glibc will be made. The problem is that, while musl largely strives
for binary compatibility, there are a few places where it's difficult
or impossible without additional patch-ups that aren't yet done.

I'm not clear on whether any of the issues affect Opera, but for such
a large program I'd be fairly surprised if they don't (albeit happily
surprised, of course).