Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:16:08 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: microblaze port committed

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:01:41AM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 01:41:57 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've committed the initial (and seemingly fully-working) version of
> > the microblaze port. Several caveats:
> >
> > 1. Upstream binutils has a serious bug in gas whereby the relocations
> >    it generates for symbols with local weak definitions cannot be
> >    resolved by the linker. Patch at:
> >    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.uclinux.microblaze/11155
> >
> > 2. The toolchain binaries from Xilinx seem to produce .o files
> >    incompatible with standard binutils, and vice versa. Pick one or
> >    the other; don't mix them.
> For Landley's sake, I'll mention what we discussed on IRC (+ some details):
> - The Xilinx toolchain is binutils 2.16 + gcc 4.1.2 (GPLv2);
> binutils support was merged upstream in 2009, so Aboriginal would
> need the Xilinx EDK toolchain (see
> http://git.xilinx.com/?p=mb_gnu.git;a=summary ofor source)

It's also worth noting that their toolchain is somehow (gratuitously?)
incompatible with objects from a standard toolchain, or at least the
old binary one they released was. I haven't checked if the current
source still has issues.

> -Rich says that on microblaze, due to the way relocations are
> handled, using -Bsymbolic instead of -Bsymbolic-functions gives a
> libc.so that is either minimally broken or fully operational. (Mips
> also works with -Bsymbolic.)

For mips (32-bit with o32 abi), this is definitely true. For
microblaze, I'm not sure. I would have to try compiling a test program
that uses global vars from libc and see which type of relocations get
used.

> -The possibility of using mapfiles instead of -Bsymbolic-functions
> was mentioned, but Rich doubts that they were supported in older
> binutils.

It's also incredibly ugly. I don't intend to make such a change
upstream.