Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:48:50 +1000
From: Conrad Pankoff <deoxxa@...srs.biz>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.5 release and new website

There's also a few technical specifics that having www (or some other second level part) can help with.

If you have HTTP authentication (think basic auth) or you're using cookies, you should be using www or something. This is because both of these mechanisms apply to the domain where they were initiated and anything below. If you initiate basic auth on www.example.com, it'll be sent automatically when you go to www.example.com, 1.www.example.com, etc. It won't, however, be sent to example.com or something-else.example.com. Same deal with cookies.

Regards,
Conrad