Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 00:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: R/GNU S: up with a couple hitches...

Cleaning up my Drafts folder, I found this:

I decided to give my gcc-3.4 build a workout (including the g77 fortran
compiler) by building R (a/k/a GNU S).
R is a fairly large stats package that uses C and Fortran.
Here are the issues I encountered:
1. iconv() needs UCS-* support: I used
LD_PRELOAD=preloadable_libiconv.so
2. __libc_stack_end is *apparently* assumed present on linux, rather than
properly checked for. (This breaks build in src/unix/system.c) So you need
to change (in src/include/config.h)
#define HAVE_LIBC_STACK_END 1
#undef HAVE_LIBC_STACK_END

There is fallback code, but currently it seems to just be guessing the
location of the stack end (if I understand properly).

After these, R builds.  It runs, but does not pass tests.

Isaac Dunham