Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 22:07:37 +0100
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: capset() capget() syscalls

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:40:25PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
>> Here is an updated version of that list.
>>

>> Syscalls not in Musl
>>
>> missing and should definitely be in:
>> ppoll
>> preadv
>> pwritev
>> setdomainname
>> mincore
>
> Added all of these; hopefully they work.
>
>> syncfs
>> clock_adjtime
>> remap_file_pages
>> kexec_load
>
> Pending but easy.
>
> BTW, some cleanup in the tree organization is still needed. I noticed
> src/linux has things like wait3/wait4 as well as the newly added dup3.
> Some of these are historical practice or improved analogues of
> standard functions, and probably belong alongside the standard
> functionality they go with. I'd eventually like src/linux to be JUST
> "linux features" like epoll, timerfd, etc. - all the stuff that's
> completely new features/functionality invented as part of Linux.

Makes sense.

>> some issues, may wait until decide how to resolve
>> recvmmsg
>> sendmmsg
>
> Indeed. We need to open a dialogue with the kernel folks about this...
>
>> useful but perhaps lower priority
>> futex
>> mqgetsetattr
>> lookup_dcookie
>> modify_ldt
>> name_to_handle_at
>> nfsservctl
>> open_by_handle_at
>> perf_event_open
>> getcpu
>> personality
>> quotactl
>> sched_setaffinity, sched_getaffinity (note glibc uses different
>> interface to syscalls)
>
> How did you assign priority? This set looks a lot more _useful_ than
> the first set, whereas the first set almost surely appears more widely
> in legacy software without an option to omit its use...

Probably no real rationale. The second set are probably more useful to
fewer programs. Merge the lists if you like.

>> may implement if someone has a real use
>> io_cancel, io_destroy, io_getevents, io_setup, io_submit (ie native
>> Linux aio not posix aio)
>>
>> obsolete or unimplemented in Linux
>> [...]
>> fanotify_init
>> fanotify_mark
>
> These are obsolete already? I thought fanotify was new...

Sorry, my mistake I was misremembering whatever there was before
inotify. These should be in (also need a bunch of structs etc for the
netlink part of the API I think).

>> [...]
>> get_robust_list
>
> This is not obsolete; it's just for implementation-internal use only.

Ah ok.

Justin