Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:46:58 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: documenting musl

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 02:35:22PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> 2012/9/8 Kurt H Maier <khm-lists@...ma.in>:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:44:03AM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> >> btw. documentation - mandoc is a better option than (old/big/ugly)
> >> groff for documentation.
> >
> > None of those links explain why they seem to think it's either groff or
> > roll-your-own, when there are plenty of lightweight roff
> > implementations.  Any hints?
>
> hmm... mandoc isn't lightweight? :)
>
> # du -h | grep image/
> 20.0K	./image/usr/share/man/man1
> 8.0K	./image/usr/share/man/man8
> 32.0K	./image/usr/share/man
> 36.0K	./image/usr/share
> 248.0K	./image/usr/bin
> 288.0K	./image/usr
> # ls -lh image/usr/bin/
> total 244
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           6 Sep  8 12:24 apropos -> mandoc
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           6 Sep  8 12:24 makewhatis -> mandoc
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      243.9K Sep  8 12:24 mandoc
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           6 Sep  8 12:24 mandocdb -> mandoc
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           6 Sep  8 12:24 whatis -> mandoc
>
> compared to groff (gentoo):
>
> (cut...)
>
> 7.1M	./image/usr/share
> 4.0K	./image/usr/lib64/groff/site-tmac
> 60K	./image/usr/lib64/groff/groffer
> 68K	./image/usr/lib64/groff
> 72K	./image/usr/lib64
> 3.4M	./image/usr/bin
> 11M	./image/usr
> 11M	./image

mandoc may be interesting, but I think the whole mandoc vs groff thing
is a distraction from the real topic. groff is a really ugly (GNU,
C++) version of the standard troff, of which there's a perfectly good
version based on the original troff somewhere, perhaps in heirloom.

At some point we may want man pages for various things, but the
documentation I started this thread to consider is something that
would probably be desirable to have in html and pdf output formats;
the input format is open not something I've thought too much about.

The content is the important part, and content may eventually be
derived/adapted into man pages too.. :)