Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:18:35 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Time for an issue tracker?

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:54:32AM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:47:13 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > It would help if sh4rm4 would use the list... :) This patch has been
> > in the works and under discussion for about a week on IRC, but got
> > little/no attention on the mailing list.
>
> Patches on IRC rather suck for discussion:
> -no permanent record of suggestions
> (you have to be there/have a bot logging the channel...which is not
> possible with an ephemeral connection like I have.)
> -no public record
> -render inline comments impractical

I agree completely, and I've been trying to get others to realize
this. Also, pastebins are harmful for patches, whether they're shared
on IRC or as links in email; they do not provide a reliable permanent
record of the proposed patches and their evolution. All patches should
be submitted to the list.

> That said, IRC is great when you're asking about _revising_ a patch.

Agreed.

> > I'd like to have an issue tracker too. My preference is always one
> > where you can do most of the work by email if you prefer, but nowadays
> > I don't mind using the web interface either. I'm not sure how other
> > contributors feel about this, but I suspect we have some who won't
> > bother with the issue tracker unless they can use it comfortably via
> > email and/or a text-based web browser... :-)
>
> The way Debian's bug tracker works? or different?
> And yes, you're right on the last count.  The most feature-rich browser
> I've gotten working on musl is dillo, but I prefer to just start
> links.  I'm a lot more likely to report issues while I'm running muslin
> than under Ubuntu. ;)

I like Debian's bug tracker a lot because it works well by email and
via the web interface. I also don't mind bugzilla, but it is
frustrating having to make a new account all the time..