Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:23:22 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: capset() capget() syscalls

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:28:04AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > For reference (this list is not complete), Musl is missing the
> > following syscalls that glibc has:
> > fallocate, acct, setns, sync_file_range, readahead, tee,
> > timerfd_create, timerfd_settime, timerfd_gettime
>
> these are non-standard functions, but the non-broken
> ones should be provided eventually
>
> the ugly ones are those which glibc declares in standard
> headers (eg readahead, tee)

I'm guessing they're under _GNU_SOURCE, right? If so, that's a good
reason not to make _GNU_SOURCE default in musl.. Anyway, these two
should be easy to add, but readahead is actually deprecated.

> (timerfd* functions are easy to provide as they live in
> their own header)

Yes. Somehow I thought I'd already added that. Must have been thinking
of eventfd... Adding it might fix a few broken programs that assume
timerfd exists when other Linux features that were added earlier were
already detected.

> some of them might be obsolete
> (eg posix_fallocate is in musl and can be used instead
> of fallocate, and posix_fadvise may be used instead of
> readahead)

Yes. Does fallocate need to be a wrapper for posix_fallocate, or can
it just be an alias?

> > And neither provide the non obsolete
> > clock_getres, clock_settime, clock_gettime
>
> these are posix standard api and musl provides them
> if the necessary feature test macros are defined when
> time.h is included

Yeah, not sure what he was talking about here. The clock_* functions
are used all over musl as basically the only time-related functions we
use; all other time functions are wrappers for them.

Anyway, I'm happy to add the above missing functions.