Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:56:32 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Richard Pennington <rich@...nware.com>
Subject: Re: build musl with clang

On 08/23/2012 03:11 PM, agent wrote:
> 23.08.2012 18:24, John Spencer пишет:
>> this sounds as if the binary uses gnu hash as opposed to sysv hash.
>> did you use ./configure ?
>> see FAQ in http://wiki.musl-libc.org
> i didn't use any build systems, just a shell script with commands.
> that was just a hello world.
i was referring to how you have built musl; musl's configure script
detects broken distro toolchains and adds flags so that musl and
musl-gcc is built with sysv hash only.

> i was able to compile it and if i encounter any problems in future,
> i'll try the solution from FAQ.
> btw, there was no link to this wiki from main site

yes, for some reason rich didn't place a link there yet.

>> there is another known bug in clang which will lead to calloc getting
>> wrongly optimized away, because clang disrespects -ffree-standing.
>> Richard Pennington wanted to reported this to the LLVM maillist
>> months ago, but afaik he still hasn't done this.
> i was investigating the possibility of using clang + musl for writing
> a new program, not for porting existing software, so it may be
> possible to avoid using some functions in reasonable scale, or change
> any component in this bundle.
> and does that bug affect a whole *alloc family or just calloc?

the bug affects optimizations that assume things about libc functions,
-ffree-standing is meant to turn them off but apparently this feature is
buggy in clang, this was detected with a test involving calloc. it is
possible that other functions are affected as well.

it would be nice if richard pennington could finally invest 3 minutes to
file a bugreport as he promised and get this annoying issue out of our way.